Junior French-speaking consultant & research assistant
Based in Barcelona, you will work full-time as a junior consultant and research assistant in the field of Higher education, research and innovation strategies and policies.
You have a Master degree and are perfectly proficient in French and English.
You are looking for a professional experience that:
- provides you with a strong sense of purpose and meaning: you will be contributing to improving public policies for higher education and research through evidence-based inputs
- values teamwork and collective contribution over individual performance
- enables you to grow, learn and develop within a challenging and supportive environment.
Context: who we are and what we do
What? We are a consulting firm. We work with decision makers in the public or non-profit sector, and provide them with insights, processes and tools, which challenge them to think and enable them to accomplish their mission better.
Our services can take many forms: a strategic or analytical report, a business intelligence tool, a participatory workshop, a coaching session, the moderation of a discussion, a political recommendation, etc.
But if the form varies, the core is always the same: what matters to us is to help leaders make better, more informed and more accountable decisions for the benefit of the citizens.
How? We approach problems as researchers: questioning systematically, proposing models, looking for evidence. We never defend a position which we have not tested as deeply as we can. We provide decision-makers with the tools and arguments to take decisions but we also understand that their job involves political compromises and that the ideal decision is not always either possible or optimal.
Who? Born from research, our team of 45 people is a colourful mix, with specialities ranging from archaeology to physics, and philosophy to biology. Our team is held together by a strong ethical vision, based on the respect of the contribution of everyone, the belief in collective wisdom, and a deep curiosity.
Where? Based in Barcelona, we work mostly in Europe, with a strong base in Spain, France and Italy, activities in the UK and Germany and at the EU level. Our activity also covers French Overseas territories and a few African locations.
With whom? Our clients are leaders and managers in universities, regional governments, ministries, research organisations, not-for-profit foundations, etc.
In which sectors? Currently, most of our activity focuses on the sectors of higher education and research, science & innovation policy and social impact.
And…. why? Deep down, we want to make the world a better place by improving public policies. We are strong believers in the power of science-based evidence, participative approaches and accountability processes to improve the way public policies are designed and decisions taken, day after day.
What you will do
You will support the consultancy team by:
- collecting and analysing information, data and evidence, both qualitative and quantitative ;
- preparing literature reviews and case-studies;
- writing & revising reports, projects, concept notes or position papers in French & in English;
- conducting online and in person interviews;
- interacting with senior management of institutions;
- travelling to meet our clients and facilitate meetings, workshops or collaborative events;
- performing other project-based tasks “on demand”.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary, international team of public policy experts, data scientists and a world-wide network of international experts.
You will receive training in a wide set of skills in consulting, qualitative and quantitative analysis and sectoral expertise. You will learn about our methodology based on co-design of data-driven solutions, as well as in systemic processes, interpretation and strategic provocation.
Whom we are looking for
You are a French-speaker (oral and written), but also have a perfect working knowledge of English. Working knowledge of other European languages is a plus.
You have a Master degree, not necessarily in the field of public policies or Higher education, research and innovation. Specific background in these fields is a plus but not mandatory: graduates from any disciplinary fields are welcome to apply if they have an interest for public policy on the one hand, higher education & research on the other.
You have excellent writing and reasoning skills, strong capacities of argumentation and critical analysis, and show attention to details.
With high standards when it comes to writing a report, defending an argument, or looking for data, you like interactions and dialectics.
You are comfortable with standard office tools, esp. Google suite (Google docs, Google sheets, Google slides).
We will appreciate initiative and independence. You are expected to show strong organisational skills, and a capacity to work on several projects in parallel.
You are flexible in terms of time planning to adapt to project timelines and to the international situation of our clients that may be located in various time zones.
You are expected to start in January 2023 (negotiable based on availability). You live in/around Barcelona and/or are willing to move to Barcelona at the signature of the contract.
SIRIS Academic’s recruitment processes integrate a commitment towards gender equality, diversity and inclusion.
Full time position (40 hours/week).
We offer a possibility of partial remote work (2 to 3 days per week).
Our hiring model includes a trial period of 6 months, the extension of which is confirmed in a feedback and assessment session.
Once a year, both salary and career development are discussed during a joint assessment session. More regular feedback sessions take place whenever the employee feels that it is useful.
- Salary range depending on experience and in line with industry standards (more info)
- All work and travel related expenses are covered by SIRIS Academic
- Workstation in a shared office + laptop
- A beautiful and lively office in downtown Barcelona, based on 2 floors, with 360º views and nice perks
- Free fruits, coffee, biscuits, chocolate and many more treats
- Informal dress code
- Fully-equipped installations including cooking facilities, sofas, recreation rooms
- Complimentary Health insurance
- Relocation/moving budget as a contribution to cover part of the related expenses
- Working hours flexibility and support to work-life balance
- Specific bonus tickets to cover either public transportation, childcare, catering or gym membership
- Extra-holiday on employee’s birthday
- Ethical and sustainable working environment
- Opportunity to work in a dynamic, dedicated, multicultural, multi-lingual and passionate team of professionals
- According to internal policy, SIRIS Academic may distribute a fraction of the yearly profits among all employees in the form of a salary bonus
How to apply
- November 10. Deadline for applications. Applications should include 1) a CV; 2) a cover letter. Both must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Junior French-speaking consultant & research assistant” in the email subject line.
- November 28 to December 2: Online interviews for preselected candidates
- December 8 to 13: Written test for candidates having successfully passed the interviews (estimated time to complete the test: 3 hours)
- December 19 to 23: final interviews and selection of the recruited consultant
What we expect from SIRIS team members
What you’ll encounter at SIRIS
- Challenging job
- Strong ethical values